Newsletter For March 2019
Training schedule remains the same for the Spring Break
HS and older 5:30-7pm Mondays & Thursdays, Saturdays 10-11:30
** Sprint & Jumps training additions Monday & Tuesday March18,19 10am to noon at the track
JD's and Seahorses 6-7:30pm Mondays & Thursdays, 10-11:30am Saturdays
Throws 5-7pm Mondays & Thursdays, 10-noon Saturday
Special Events Information
Saturday March 16 - 11:30 to noon - following training. Spikes try on and test opportunity. Paul Williams and Alison Williams will be bringing a load of spikes that athletes can try on and test on the track. If new spikes are on your wish list for this season, this is a great opportunity to test out spikes before you buy. Pen Run is a long time Ocean Athletics sponsor. Support our local businesses and find the spikes that are perfect for you. Pen Run offers Ocean Athletics members great prices.
Sunday March 31 - Special High Jump and Throws practical workshop. Ocean Athletics will be having two very special guests for a 3 hr workshop 1:30-4;30. Fuzz Ahmed, the British Olympic High Jump coach will be leading a High Jump Clinic for athletes and coaches. This will be a practical session and is open to beginner to elite High Jumpers. Cost is $20 for athletes. You must register in advance. No drop ins. Derek Everly is a Canadian Olympian decathalete and thrower. This session is also open to both beginners and elite throwers as well as coaches. Please email Mo to sign up. or see Mo / Cathy at the track to confirm.
BC Athletics Level 1 Officials Workshop - Sunday, April 7 - 8:30 to 10am with officiating experience to follow at the SFU Emilie Mondor Invitational meet which Ocean is hosting as the SFU track is now under construction for their new stadium. This replaces the May 25 Officials training. This is a great opportunity to get trained for our upcoming hosting of the 2019 BC Athletics Junior Development Championships July 19-21 (this is our big fundraiser for 2019 and everyone's help is needed). Signup information will be available on the website shortly.
Please see the Officials’ Website for registration instructions and information on starting time:
Monday April 15 - Ocean Athletics Town Hall - 7:10pm -Semiahmoo Secondary - right after training (JDs and Seahorses will end at 7pm) We would like our entire membership to attend so that:
* all of your questions can be answered,
* you can meet the Ocean Athletics board and the coaching team,
* we can get our big fundraiser - the JD Championships - organized with volunteers and officials, ( a list of 2019 volunteer opportunities coming soon) Are you willing to sponsor Ocean Athletics? Do you have friends who are looking for a great way to give back to the community?
* explore effective ways to find sponsors and fundraise for the club, and
* begin discussions about the future of Ocean Athletics. We are continuing to grow, and with that growth comes continuing challenges to maintain our high quality programs.
The Town Hall will go no longer than 60minutes. Please plan to attend. We will be asking for a confirmation from members so that we can have some snacks and drinks available.
1. Our membership is already over 250 - we are quickly heading towards our projected 360 for the 2019 season.
2. the Shed construction is underway - yippeee
3. The cage is being repaired.
4. Indoor training is completed for the 2018-2019 season. It will commence again next November.
5. A second order of rain jackets & training jackets will be placed this coming week. Come & try on samples so that you get the right size. This is likely to be the final order for rain and training jackets this season. We do not have the storage nor financial capacity to have a large stock of rain jackets and training jackets on hand.
6. A special one time order of training shirts will be made next week as well. There are two styes - the sublimated version (this means the design is woven in - like our competition tops) and the heat press style. Both the same material shirt, but the production is different. The hirts come in Mens, Womens, & Youth xs, small, med, large and xL (and likely XXL) The samples at the track are SAMPLES - the finished design will be a unique Ocean Athletics design for the Sublimated shirts $40 - the heat press shirt will be a white long sleeve shirt with a large Ocean Athletics logo on the front and a smaller chest logo with Ocean Athletics Track & Field on the front. - $25. Order form and sample sizes will be at the track on Saturday. A minimum order of 25 per shirt is needed to get the price quoted. Great shirts for training, warmup and looking cool with jeans!!! As soon as there is a minimum of 25 shirts ordered in each, the order will go in.
Thank you for registering with Ocean Athletics. If you have not submitted both your membership form and your athlete emergency form, please do so as quickly as possibly.